Dealing with Blocked Drains in North Sydney
Blocked drains can be a cause of great inconvenience. At worst, however, they can be a threat to your health and the condition of your property.
Problems with blocked drains must be dealt with quickly. If not, they can deteriorate into more severe problems that are difficult and expensive for a blocked drain fix in North Sydney. You need to be able to recognise the warning signs and how to deal with them, which may require a blocked drain plumber in North Sydney.
Symptoms and Causes of Blocked Drains in North Sydney
Signs of blocked drains include:
- bad smells, particularly sewage-like odours
- gurgling sounds from the pipes that indicate they’re damaged
- water that is slow to drain away and may back up and overflow.
Blockages occur for several reasons and the cause may determine the action needed:
- If you have trees close to the property, their roots may break through and obstruct the pipes, eventually causing them to collapse.
- Items getting into the system that shouldn’t be there. These can include items dropped into the toilet, baby wipes and nappies, cooking oil and fat that solidifies, food scraps and other debris. All these can combine to form blockages that are hard to shift.
- Calcium and other minerals in hard water areas may not cause blockages. However, they can form deposits on the insides of pipes that reduce their capacity and make blockages more likely. If you live in a hard water area, it may pay to install a whole-house water softener.
- Ground movement may cause pipes to move and constrict the flow of water.
Fixing Blocked Drains in North Sydney
If you take prompt action before the problem becomes too serious, you may be able to fix it yourself. Common solutions include:
- Pouring boiling water down the drain in an attempt to liquefy grease and other materials that have solidified.
- Using natural cleaners, such as vinegar or bicarbonate of soda, to shift blockages. Pour in hot water first then, after ten minutes when the cleaner has had time to act, follow up with more hot water. If this doesn’t work, try caustic cleaners that may have more effect. Always ventilate the room, however, and follow the instructions for the product.
- Place a plunger over the drain to create an air-tight seal, then push and pull to form a vacuum. This is often effective in removing blockages.
- An unfolded wire coat hanger can be pushed down the drain, hook end first. This can remove hair and other obstructions that create blockages.
If none of these work, you need a professional plumber. At Raks Quality Plumbing (best plumbers in Sydney), we can use a variety of methods to clear the most stubborn of blockages. These include:
- A plumber’s drain snake can go deep into the drain system and remove difficult blockages.
- CCTV to investigate the cause of the blockage and its location. This then enables us to develop an effective plan to clear it.
- A hydro jet that removes blockages with intensive bursts of water.
- Excavation may be necessary if the blockage is inaccessible or pipes have been damaged and need to be replaced.
- Pipe relining is a cheaper and effective method of repairing damaged pipes rather than replacing them.
Leading Block Drain Plumbers in North Sydney
Blocked drains are a problem that you often can’t resolve. However, we can because we have the knowledge, experience and tools to do the job quickly, effectively and with minimal fuss.
What Our Clients Say
“Daniel from Rak’s Quality Plumbing provided excellent service. He fixed the leak quickly and professionally. Great communication throughout the whole process. Strongly recommend using this company for your plumbing needs.”
“Mitch from Rak’s Quality Plumbing provided excellent service. He was on time, and done a fantastic job to renew my whole gas line which services my house. I would strongly recommend using this company for any of your plumbing needs, I have never received a better experience from any Sydney Plumber before. Forget the Rest – Use the Best!”
“David was very friendly and helpful. Did honest work and made us happy. The shower drain was fully blocked and he cleared everything. Amazing Job 👍”
“Wayne was amazing in showing up on time and getting the job done.. he went above and beyond.. will use his services and defenitely recommend Rak’s Plumbing and Wayne for sure.. Mitch was amazing as well”
“Both Daniel and Jamie were amazing, kind and professional. Work was done quickly and efficiently and explained to us every step of the way. We paid what we were originally quoted!”
“Wayne was punctual, polite and professional. He not only fixed the issues we had, but went the extra mile to identify other points which would prevent serious damage being done to the property in the future. I would, and will, recommend his services to anyone.”
“We had leaking toilets and laundry tap, Wayne and Kieran did an amazing job. Efficient, friendly and fair priced. We are really happy with their customer service and definitely would recommend them to anyone in need!”
“Mitch was on site within one hour of calling up; clean, professional, and worked with us to get the job done within our budget. Highly recommended and very easy to deal with! Thanks for the good service.”
“I have used Rak’s Quality Plumbing for many years. On this occasion, it was James who arrived, he was on time, completed the work promptly and left everything as clean as he found it. Thanks James.”
“Wayne and James showed great professionalism by arriving on time and completing a rather difficult job of repairing a serious leak under the house. They also did clean up every time they finished something. Both are polite and friendly. Well done and highly recommended!”